Paisley

Friday, July 29, 2011

flax seed!

So this week at the grocery store I picked up a new to me item...flax seed! Once again through all of my reading of healthy living blogs I have come across these girls using flax seed in a lot of the things they ate. So while perusing the Kroger aisles earlier in the week I came upon it surprisingly. I thought they would only sell it at places like Whole Foods. So I purchased some brown flax seed!!

I took it home and put some on my oatmeal and then the next morning added it to my cereal. Doesn't really have a flavor and maybe a slight little crunch, but man on man does it have it's health benefits!

Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber as well as lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids.  The consumption of flaxseed is associated with a reduction in total cholesterol, including the LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides. And its combination of healthy fat and high fiber content make it a great food for weight loss and maintenance -- many dieters have found that flax seed has been a key to keeping them feeling satisfied.

I have heard of people also adding it to their smoothies and other routinely eaten foods and also hiding it in main dishes to get that extra oomph of nutrients!!

So go out and get yourself some flax seed, your body will love you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment