Paisley

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Read This One --- Please!

So I wrote this for some close family and friends today and Michael suggested that I post it to my blog. So I thought it wouldn't hurt! Here ya go:

Dear Family and Friends,
I have done it. I have signed up for something that I thought I would never do. Why? Because I have always been afraid to do this, to inconvenience people, to make them go out of their way, and to push myself to really go after something I truly believe in. But I did it. And now I need your support.

I signed up for a race, which is not a new thing because if you know me I do races all the time. This time I signed up to raise money for a cause that I feel passionate about, that Christ led me to over a year ago. I have had so many opportunities to do things like this in the past but always passed them up in the fear of not being able to achieve the fundraising goals. I hate asking others for money. But I was reading Francis Chan’s “Crazy Love” the other day and he talked about how lukewarm Christians only do the things that are convenient and easiest for them and this hit me hard.  I don’t want to halfway do things my whole life. In particular 2 comments he made struck me hard:

Lukewarm People give money to charity and to their church… as long as it doesn’t impinge on their standard of living. If they have a little extra and it is easy and safe to give, they do so. After all, God loves a cheerful giver right?”
Lukewarm People will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give”
Yeah, Michael and I don’t have a ton of money to give but are we doing the most we can? Am I only doing what is most convenient for me? My time on this Earth should not be focused only on me, I will only be here for but a fraction of a second of eternity.  
At the Tuesday Advisory Meeting at Amachi I was asked if I was going to participate with Team LLF and I gave an excuse that I didn’t have enough money. I told them I probably wouldn’t do it. That was before I read the stuff I mentioned above. What kind of advisory member comes up with such a lame excuse, what kind of example am I setting? So I am doing this fundraising run. I paid my higher than normal entry fee for the race, a race I’ve done twice before, the Midsummer Night’s Run 5k on August 6th. None of the money I put forward for the race will be repaid by others, that is MY contribution, but I do ask you to consider and pray about giving a donation to help support this cause that I will be running for. This race is for the Lexington Leadership Foundation and Amachi (http://www.lexlf.org/amachi/). My connection is to Amachi. Amachi is a mentoring program for children who have a parent that is incarcerated. You can read more about Amachi in a blog post I made in January (I really encourage you to read this):

If you have been keeping up with my blog you know that Adrielle is a big part of my life and I see her every week.
 Adrielle is the reason I will be running. Adrielle is not the only little girl in Lexington with a parent that was incarcerated, who didn’t have her father around for 3 years of her life. There are others that need help and Amachi will be able to provide mentors to these children through the funding raised by this race. So I will put forward my best efforts to help support this foundation that I believe in, the foundation that has led me to a great relationship with a little girl that I love and that I am able to help spread the word of God to, which is another great thing about Amachi, spreading the love the of the Lord is ENCOURAGED. How great is that?!

So now that I see this is getting a bit lengthy all I ask is that you take a few minutes and think about this. I won’t be mad or sad if you decide not to do anything, I just ask for your prayers for this organization. If you can give anything it would be greatly appreciated. $5, $10, $20 or however much you feel comfortable giving. OR the foundation will be having a silent auction in mid-October so if you have any idea for a type of donation you could give if you’d prefer to give that. Anything works.

Thank you for your time and patience, this was a big step for me and I am glad that I did it! I hope you realize how significant this organization is for me, Adrielle, and the city of Lexington, KY.

God Bless,

Ashley Kasten


If you’re interested in donating you can send your checks to:
Ashley Kasten
1332 Gray Hawk Road Unit C
Lexington, KY 40502

I will be collecting the funds and submitting them all together so checks can be made payable to myself, or if you’d prefer you can make them out to the Lexington Leadership Foundation, whatever works for you!

*Also, if you need a receipt, I can get that for you too!! It’s a charitable contribution!

**Here are a few other blog posts describing activities and time spent with Adrielle if you are interested:

No comments:

Post a Comment