Paisley

Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekend Get-a-way -- Friday evening

So I feel like I haven't written in forever...oh you say I had a post yesterday, well yes I did, BUT I kinda cheated for the weekend because I was uncertain about our access to the internet while away and went ahead and typed out my Friday, Saturday, and Sunday posts Friday morning, so it has been a few days since I've technically written.

In order to not overwhelm or bore you to death with pictures and comments about the weekend I thought it would be best to break the weekend down into days, I view them as bite size pieces or nuggets of fun!! So lets start with Friday...

The time leading up to our trip was stressful for me. I hadn't packed ahead of time, I needed to do a 6-mile run, go to the bank, pack up the dogs' stuff, pack up my stuff, load Ipod with tunes, and other random things. Michael said we needed to leave at 5:15 at the latest to arrive at our reservation for dinner on time....well 5:15 quickly approached as I tried to pack, dry my hair, etc. and no Michael has returned from work yet. If you know me at all you would know that I HATE being late, no matter what. And actually being on time still makes me antsy, I'd rather be early. Well...Michael had been getting off all week at like 3 so I was like what's the hold up yo?! Apparently they were stuck waiting on an attending or something ... I told Michael he should leave and he just stopped responding. Dang, I got frustrated. Michael hadn't packed either so I knew that was more time to wait to leave...

Well my frustration may have been unwarranted. Michael showed up at the house with a little anniversary gift. Some super cute mini roses AND instead of chocolates, a bag of powdered donuts for moi!! haha I giggled and immediately opened up the package! NOM NOM NOM!!

So we finally get ourselves out the door and on the road. Michael's mom was to pick up the pups shortly after we left. Well...we were about 15 minutes on the road and Michael gets a call from his mom. APPARENTTTTLLLYYY Michael was supposed to leave the door unlocked because Michael's dad had our house key and was out of town so she had no way to get our poor little pups. Well then came the u-turn and the drive back through 5:30 Friday evening traffic back to our house. There were no other options though, our poor puppies would have died being alone ALL weekend in a locked up house!! So after 30 minutes of driving in circles basically around Lexington we were on the road again. Now my silly time frustrations returned, which I apologize to Michael for , I can be a stinker. Not to mention that I also get cranky when hungry and dannnggg I was hungry!

After a 3 hour curvy, windy ride down the bluegrass parkway and western ky parkway we arrived in Madisonville! I was sooo glad, cause my tummy was a rumblin'! We drive following the GPS through tiny little neighborhoods of houses clumped together. The GPS tells us we are like .2 away and I'm like what the heck, this place CANNOT be what is pictured on their website, not many trees or greenery around here are we lost. And all of a sudden, out of no where we approach a stone entrance. And the scenery opens up like a movie or something....HUGE green trees everywhere, a lake to our right as we follow the super curvy driveway to the house. As we approach we smile and gaze at the gorgeous house located on 70ish GREEN acres sitting SUPER close to a lake. This was my dream!!

Even has a gorgeous backend! Our room is the one with towels hanging off the railing
Trees, trees, trees!!
our room with our stuff thrown all over
our quaint little bathroom

top of the stairs, our room is to immediate left

HUGE window in living room!

right side of living room

Entryway of house
One of 2 screened in sun rooms
The library
our room again, and our balcony
the view from our room, there was a wedding there Saturday evening!

We checked in with the owner, Shirley, and lugged our stuff upstairs. I was overjoyed with our room. It looked out at the lake and it was soooo bright and open. As we passed through each room I got more giddy and gasped with excitement. This house was like my dream house. It was built in the 40s....wanna hear it's story?!
The Ruby Lodge was featured in this book!
Joe, the owner of the house was more than happy to tell us and I LOVED listening: Apparently Mr. Ruby (Ahem ahem...the Ruby lodge) had this house built for his wife in the 40's by a well known architect of MANY homes in Louisville (one of like 4 homes not built in Louiville). A different feature is that the wings of the house face out at a 32 degree angle. (the house is about 5000 sq ft) Anyway the home owner sadly divorced his wife after 10 years because he had a lover. Well the ex-wife moved to Louisville and bought an apartment where she sadly committed suicide. Mr. Ruby's lover refused to live in the Ruby lodge so Mr. Ruby built a similarly sized, different styled home directly next to the Ruby Lodge, coined the Lakehouse.  Mr. Ruby's son owned the house until about 7 years ago when he sold it to Joe and Shirley, sadly Mr. Ruby's son passed away about a week or 2 ago! :(

Anway, back to OUR story:
We arrived at 7:30 (central) and our reservations were at 8 so we rushed to get dressed for dinner. We looked snazzy!!(gotta do a photo shoot of course!):


Dinner was awesome, it was at the nicest restaurant in Madisonville called DeFabios Casapela. And Michael and I were ready to go all out on our din din. The restaurant had made us a nice little happy anniversary paper table cloth!! it was cute:



Michael and I started off with some drinks. He had the Italian Ice tea (can't remember everything in it but there was sweet and sour mix) and I had, well shoot, I can't remember haha it had amaretto in it though, yum!! For our entrees I ordered the Chicken Marsala and Michael ordered the Filet...both were delicious and so were their breadsticks!!
Chicken Marsala

Michaels DELISH red wine filet with 1 cheese ravioli! haha, it was SO good though

Then it was time for dessert. You know how at PF Changs they bring out the dessert tray but it's all fake desserts? Well they brought out a REAL dessert tray, and well I drooled. They had like 10 different things. We opted for the Flourless Chocolate Cake with ice cream and raspberries and the Samoa Girl Scout cookie Cheesecake. Both were delicious, wish we could have finished them but we were stuffed!!
Forgot to take a picture before we dug in!
Overall a fantastic evening!! We returned to the B and B and hopped in the hot tub, which was apparently on "economy" mode, AKA it was only 96 degrees, like luke warm bath water, but we sat out there a little bit and looked at the stars then headed back up to our room and hit the hay!!

WOAH, well my "little' Friday post got a little lengthy now didn't it? Hope you enjoyed part 1 of anniversary weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment